Covid-19 HVAC Professionals' Survey Results
Thank you to those who participated in the 2020 Covid-19 HVAC Professionals' Survey. In this survey, we found that:
- 94% of HVAC Professionals were asked by customers for advice about Covid-19.
- Customers ranked #1 Filtration #2 Purification #3 Ventilation as their preferred solutions.
- Customers look for multiple solutions - customers sought a combination of approaches.
- Sales reps overwhelmingly recommend site assessments (even though customers are open to specific solutions such as filtration, purification, and ventilation).
- Expect sales to be $5k to $50k evenly balanced between $5k - $10k and $11k - $50k.
Amazingly, ventilation was ranked third by customers (even though this is the most important item recommended by the CDC and ASHRAE).
Our analysis - even though customers are asking about specific solutions, is that only a minority of reps are actually taking the second step to measure what's happening with the customers' indoor air as part of their recommendation process. There is a real opportunity here for BuildingAdvice contractors and HVAC Pros to set themselves apart from the competition. Too many sales professionals are treating this new opportunity as "business as usual" rather than capitalizing on the opportunity.
In addition, customers have specific solutions in mind when approaching HVAC Professionals for help with their buildings. Where they need help, however, is using a combination of approaches to provide a total solution. We believe that HVAC Pros can provide much greater insight into each customer's situation by completing an air quality survey to illustrate precisely what's happening with ventilation and filtration settings - both before, and after, solutions are in place. For example, we recently heard that surveys of many schools show that ventilation settings have been turned down, or completely closed, over periods of many years as a result of cost-saving measures or maintenance procedures. This is a great opportunity to highlight the ongoing risks of poor ventilation as part of your Covid-19 recommendations, especially in schools!
We welcome your comments on the survey results and any suggestions about how to improve our industry's Covid-19 response.
Full survey results below:
Thanks again, and get out there!
Jim Crowder, CEO